Gaëlle Scali born in 1984. Lives and works in Draguignan, France.
Since the end of his studies at the « École des Beaux Arts » in Montpellier, Gaëlle Scali continues an artistic career marked by collaborations in the world of theater , music and contemporary art.
Coming from the visual arts she explores through a pictorial practice, the artist also invests the fields of sound creation accompanied by musical performance.
About Gaëlle Scali’s Work
Gaëlle Scali’s painting questions the reactive codes delivered to us by a work of art from its interiority as well as the expansion of the intimate artistic spaces or those of a society disproportionately human.
Gaëlle SCALI thus takes the risk of exposure. Her analytical, literary and contemporary reflections are there to support her art of an aesthetic off-balance that she ceaselessly attempts at facing up, to find other possible languages.
Her approach, from the field of pictoriality to the conceptual structuring of her work as an artist of content and its shapes, is both singular in its narrative, while at the same time very much asserted in its processed emotional load.
She requires a tension, a fracture, even poetry from the very varied selection of materials and artistic mediums she resorts to in a versatile way.
Theatrical vocal declamation has often lead her to protocol forms of sound framing; she carves images and inner words. She creates somewhat of an open book that can be read stratum after stratum as a great story within the said and the unsaid.
STUDIES | DIPLOMA
- 2003 until 2009 – École supérieur des Beaux-Arts de Montpellier Agglomération (ESBAMA) – Fine Art School (Montpellier, France)
- DNSEP (2009) – equivalent of a Masters of Fine Art degree / DNAP (2007) equivalent of a Bachelor of Fine Art degree (passed with distinction)
- 1996 until 2002 – Music studies at « conservatoire de région de Montpellier agglomération » (theory, singing and piano)
- November 2015 – Galerie My Art Goes Boom, Avignon
- February 2017 – Cartographies des Mondes Fantômes, Chapelle de l’Observance, Draguignan, France
- September 2014 – Les décennies pourpres, Chapelle du quartier haute, Sète, France
- December 2011 – Tout doit disparaître, exhibition organized by the artists group La Capsule, Galerie Saint Ravy, Montpellier, France
- March 2011 – L’exploration du processus imaginaire, Fondation VPF-Plataforma Revolver, Lisbon, Portugal
- September 2009 – Exit on Main Street, Galerie de l’école des Beaux-arts de Montpellier, Montpellier, France
- April 2009 – Trois soirées chez Andréa, Galerie Saint Ravy, Montpellier, France
- February 2017 – Carte Blanche au Label Hapax, Midi Circus Electronic music live set at Bucéphale, Draguignan, France
- March 2014 – Talk ! (Création), directed by Alexandre Blanc Paradis – Sound design creation for Strophe (a drama company) Trioletto, Montpellier, France
- June 2013 – Festival Les Sièstes sonores, Electronic music live set at Villa des cents regards, Montpellier, France
- May 2013 – Phaedra’s Love by Sarah Kane, directed by Alexandre Blanc Paradis – Sound design creation for Strophe (a drama company). La Chartreuse, Villeneuve Les Avignon, France (programmed at the Festival Emergence)
- April 2012 – Phaedra’s Love by Sarah Kane, directed by Alexandre Blanc Paradis, Théâtre la Vignette, Montpellier, France
- September 2011 – Chick’s on Speed – Cultural Workship Now ! Musical performer for Jasmina Maschina and Chick’s On Speed, Kunstraum Kreuzberg Bethanien, Berlin, Germany
- June 2008 – Performer on Les Assistantes by Jennifer Lacey and Nadia Lauro, Festival Montpellier Danse 2008, Montpellier, France
- July 2005 – Extras in the creation Mhmmmmm by Jennifer Lacey and Nadia Lauro, festival Montpellier Danse 2005, Montpellier, France
- September 2010 – Artist in residence research and creation programme, Kawenga – Territoires Numériques, Montpellier, France
- September 2005 – Projet bonbonnière ou une réhabilitation d’un lieu obsolète ou le cabinet du docteur Caligari – l’espace comme creusé (Workshop), Opera Comédie, Montpellier, France (co-ordinated by Jenifer Lacey – choreographer artist)
- November 2015 until today – Machine Soul Radio broadcaster for ekodesgarrigues.com- 88,5 FM Montpellier. A monthly radio broadcast on electronic music, the last Wednesday of the month. Montpellier, France
- February 2011 until March 2013 – Bass Maniak, an every 2 weeks radio show about electronic music history. Eko des garrigues.com – 88.5 FM, Montpellier, France
- October 2009 until May 2010 – Radio Tambour Parlant, Eko des garrigues.com – 88.5 FM, Montpellier, France
- March 2013 – « Bourse individuelle à la création 2013 », grant from Region Languedoc-Roussillon for ‘RVB’S project’